Short-term detachment (Intra-corporate detachment) in Italy
Length of the procedure: 2-3 months
Procedure subject to cap: no
Permanent residence permit: no
Family reunion: yes
Italian healthcare: free
Residence permit: length 2+1 years, non-renewable
Italian language test: no
Conditions of eligibility for the program
The worker must have been hired at least 3 months before
Corporate link between Italian and foreign company
The worker must hold a university degree
Services provided by Aprigliano Law Firm
Full assistance until the issuance of the residence permit
Opening of a current bank account
Assistance with the incorporation of an Italian company
Translation and legalization of documents*
Assistance with house purchase/rent agreement
* Provided by third-party professionals.
Italian Immigration Law provides for several kinds of work permits. All work permits grant the applicant the right to request family reunion with his/her spouse and minor children. Under special circumstances, family reunion with parents and adult children is allowed as well.
There are two categories of work permit:
- Work residence permit (ordinary): residence permits subject to a Governmental cap. Every year, the Italian Government issues a specific Law measure called “decreto flussi” (flows decree), by means of which the maximum number of workers who can be admitted to Italy (cap) is provided. Such workers are divided into several categories (domestic workers and care attendants, employees, self-employed workers). Once the annual cap is reached, any further applications can be filed only upon issuance of the new flows decree.
- Work residence permit (special cases): residence permits not subject to a cap. Applications for this particular kind of permit can be filed at any time and are reserved for highly specialized workers or executives.
This kind of residence permit falls under the “special cases” category. It is not subject to a cap, and is renewable for a maximum of 3 years, after which it cannot be renewed any further or converted into another permit. The holder of said permit is granted free access to Italian health care and to education for his/her children. In the event of application for a residence permit with duration exceeding 12 months, the foreign worker must attend a free 10-hour civic education course (integration agreement) in Italy organized by the Ministry of the Interior. The foreign national can choose the language of the course.
The procedure begins with the work authorization (Nulla Osta) request with the relevant Ministry. Not later than 30 days after receipt of the request, such Ministry issue or deny the Nulla Osta, which is valid for six months. During the validity period of the Nulla Osta, the foreign national shall schedule an appointment before his/her country’s Italian Consulate for the purposes of the issuance of the work visa by submitting the Nulla Osta granted by the Ministry. The Italian Consulate then issues a national multiple-entry type D employment visa (special cases) valid for 365 days. Prior to the expiration of the visa, the foreign national must come to Italy in order to request the residence permit and to formalise the employment relationship.
The residence permit request procedure consists of 4 steps:
- Step 1 Not later than 8 days after entry in Italy, the non-EU national must appear before the relevant Prefecture in order to provide confirmation as regards the employment agreement (c.d. “residence agreement”) and sign the integration agreement.
- Step 2 The non-EU national must request a work permit by submitting his/her application with Poste Italiane (Italian Post Offices).
- Step 3 Following the application for residence permit, the foreign national will be issued a receipt providing the date scheduled for the fingerprinting appointment with the Immigration Desk.
- Step 4 The residence permit can be collected not later than 30/40 days after the fingerprinting appointment.
The non-EU national must be present in person for the 4 steps of the procedure. In the time period between the residence permit request and its collection, the foreign national is allowed to travel abroad.
Aprigliano is a leading Italian Immigration and Citizenship Law boutique offering a wide range of integrated services tailored to the needs of each Client. We do not believe that achieving the Client’s desired outcome is enough; what we aim for is exceeding our Client’s expectations by taking care of every single detail. We see our Clients as people, not numbers, with different cultural backgrounds, personalities and expectations. Our goal is to understand each person’s needs in order to provide a tailored service that will make the application process positive and stress-free. Contact us for more information.